See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Cake Balls



 You have heard when life gives you lemons make lemonade? Well when life gives you a fallen cake make cake balls! Last week I was asked to make a German Chocolate Cake for a birthday dinner. The cake planned was a 2 layer round cake that would look nice a a pretty white cake stand. 


I couldn't find my recipe, how did I lose that?! So I used a recipe I have never used before. Ahem....and it fell, like an avalanche, like a 10 pound boulder, like a..... well you get the idea and I have a picture to show you in case you don't!



Just look at that thing! Pathetic isn't it? Well I panicked because I have never had a cake fall that bad and I had only a couple of hours left to get the birthday cake done. I decided the best thing for me to do was to make another one but this time I used my tried and true Red Velvet cake recipe, left out the red color and added a couple extra tablespoons of cocoa. It worked well and no one knew the difference! 

Later, I looked up how to fix a fallen cake or what to do with one that has. It was perfectly good to eat just looked silly and I really have a hard time throwing food away. I found Cake Balls as a way to save a fallen cake! 


Cake Balls are super simple to make; crumble the cake into a large bowl. Stir in frosting. Shape into golf size balls with your hands. Roll in powdered sugar. Super easy, and oh my did they taste good! Everyone loved them and I will probably make them again fallen cake or not!

The frosting can be thick and hard to mix in so only mix a portion of the cake crumbs with a bit of frosting at a time. I also found that dropping spoonfuls of frosting around the bowl helped too. Press the crumbs and frosting together well so they won't fall apart when you roll them in the sugar. It was easy to do and what a great kids project! They would love to make this and I plan to bake a future cake just for this purpose. 


My gosh who ever figured out this fallen cake save is a genius! Remember, you don't need to wait for a cake to fall to try it! ;)




Hill House Homestead is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Copyright © 2017 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

6 comments:

  1. So easy -- and they look so delicious! What a great way to save the fallen cake. The cake balls remind me of the donut holes that they sell at Krispy Kreme.
    Carol ("Mimi") from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you rolled these in powdered sugar instead of that candy melt stuff. Powdered sugar still makes a little mess, but it seems simpler and is easier to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips on how to make these cake balls look as nice as yours do! I always have recipes like meatballs fall apart for me! I've never tried the cute recipes of cake balls on a stick for that reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I found that some will fall apart and those are usually the ones without enough frosting. By the time I was on the last of the cake, my frosting was running short so I thinned it a little with milk, and that seemed to work well. I have always wondered how those cake balls on a stick don't fall apart. I think the outside coating must hold them together a little.

      Delete
  4. What fun! A brilliant disaster fix. Pinning for the next fallen cake moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Connie! Your post is Featured at the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty. See here: http://grammysgrid.com/wednesday-aim-link-party-23/

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)