See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Friday, August 9, 2013

* Tea Party at Gramma’s

I was planning a January Family Day and trying to find a day that all could attend. It just wasn’t working, but I did find a day that all the women of the family could attend. So I quickly changed my plans for Family Day and decided to make it a Tea Party, perfect for the ladies and kids!


Oh the looks on the kids faces when they saw the table set for them! No disposable plates or kid friendly dishes but real china! Cloth napkins, tiny seafood forks, aka, 'princess forks'! Of course, I do not have tile floors so breaking dishes is not a big issue for me. Yes we had some spills, but we hardly noticed.
For a successful Tea Party you need: Tea (or kid friendly substitutes), fancy clothes (funny headwear is always a hit), fancy table settings, and fancy food!

I put on an old formal outfit from my closet, and rummaged around in my sewing room finding a length of matching fabric to wind around my head for a hat. Safety pins secured some flowers to it. Don't I look silly?! The kids loved my hat!
I have been collecting table items from thrift stores for such an occasion as this so I could set a fancy table. I have a couple of kid sized folding tables, and we set them up in my kitchen space. Lacy table cloths added just the right touch.

The food, super easy, bright colors, all in small pieces. I served cucumbersalad, marinated sweet carrots, fruit salad, cheese and crackers, ham and cheese sandwiches (cut in quarters with the crust cut off of course), PB and J sandwiches (also quartered with crust removed), cookies, and tiny cupcakes. The kids ‘tea’ was a pineapple fruit punch poured from real tea pots.


This of course was a day planned with silliness and fun for the kids in mind. See her princess head band and bracelet? I'll tell you how I made it coming up.



It was such a wonderful time!

* This post first appeared at Family Home & Life.

Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1 comment:

  1. A gramma’s house is not less than a party venue for the kids. I have always loved going to her place for tea parties and brunches. Loved your post, everything looks so perfect and nice. I think I am going to her place again this weekend after reading this post.

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)